POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : A question on image_width : Re: A question on image_width Server Time
2 Sep 2024 04:12:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question on image_width
From: Mr  Art
Date: 19 May 2000 13:31:14
Message: <392579FC.980BFCF@gci.net>
I tried your suggestion. #ifdef(unofficial_version) always returns
true. #ifndef(pi) returns true. It would seem that #ifndef only
checks variables, not constants.
If #ifndef() could return false for constants, than I could use
the #ifdef(unofficial_version) that you mentioned. But having
the end user change a flag in the file was what I was trying to
around.

If #ifndef() could return false for constants or if there could
be a value that #ifndef could test properly, we could make
scene files that could adjust to the allowed features and the
end user need not _have_ to know which files need special
attention, or have to choose which flavor POV to use.

A proposal:
1) Modify #ifndef() to return false for constants.
   It seems logical that constants are defined.
2) Include a variable that #ifndef() could test even if it
   wasn't modified that is only true in the patched flavors
   of POV. Maybe like 'megapatch' being a pre defined variable
   in MegaPOV. A test on it would let the scene file know what
   to expect. I know that someone might want to use that as
   a valid variable in their scene, but someone also might
   want to use some of the other keywords that MegaPOV uses.
   Its just one more that we would learn to capitalize if we
   want to use it for our own.