POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Megapov 0.5 and heightfield : Re: Megapov 0.5 and heightfield Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov 0.5 and heightfield
From: Fabian BRAU
Date: 19 May 2000 07:45:21
Message: <39252943.845C3D3@umh.ac.be>
Suppose you have a heightfield with a material_map:

This is the feature of official and megapov0.5:

If you scale by scale <x,y,z> the heightfield (after the texture is
given) so the material_map will still be good on the heightfield
(you don't need to change anything), the position of each textures on
the hieghtfield will be good, BUT you will need to scale all
the subtexture by scale <1/x,1/y,1/z>, otherwise it don't look the
same!

This is the fearute of megapov0.4

If you scale by scale <x,y,z> the heightfield (after the texture is
given) you don't need to perform any modification!

I think the second solution is the good one because:
I have an object, I render it. Now I scale this object by 10,
I move the camera, the light, etc... accordingly, I render,
I must get the same image!
A scene must be always scale independant. I don't know if
other feature in the official pov does not repect this but...
It msut :).

Fabian.