POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rad. not Rad. : Re: Rad. not Rad. Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rad. not Rad.
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 18 May 2000 00:31:10
Message: <3923720e@news.povray.org>
Moon47 <rdm### [at] earthlinknet> wrote ...
> These two images illustrate the default settings for radiosity in the:
> #1 Official
> #2 My Mega compile w/ Official GUI
> Personally i like the way the official came out and the way it
> calculated extra light in small areas due to more inner reflection i
> guess... ( the lighter blue in the cuts and crevices ) The mega looks
> exactly the same as if i did not use rad. =(

In defense of MegaPov, I have to say that it produced the more realistic
image.  I would not expect much light to be coming from diffuse interaction,
since there are no objects surrounding the object to provide diffuse
reflection of light, and the object won't reflect much light back on itself.
The official version has a tendancy to greatly exaggerate diffuse
interaction in scenes where a black background is used.  Thus, you could
probably multiply the radiosity "brightness" by 10 in MegaPov to achieve a
similar effect.

-Nathan