POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What is POV? : Re: What is POV? Server Time
2 Oct 2024 10:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is POV?
From: David Fontaine
Date: 9 May 2000 17:24:38
Message: <3918815D.963D170F@faricy.net>
Ken wrote:

> Not really the best question for this group but...
>
> Let us use an example to describe the persistence of vision effect.
> As you know it is possible to blink a light bulb or an LED and see
> the individual flashes. As we speed up the flash rate it starts
> to appear as though it is constantly lit even though we can verify
> for ourselves that we are indeed still pulsing the light. This is
> known as the persistence of vision effect. It is the same reason
> why light bulbs that run on alternating current appear constantly
> lit when we know that they are actually turned off and on 60 times
> per second. The reason the light appears persistent is because
> the light receptors in our eyes cannot react quickly enough to
> resolve the individual on off cycles. There are other examples
> of the persistence of vision effect but this is the best way
> I know of to explain it.

Does the bulb immediately stop emitting light when the power is cut, or does
it "cool down"?
Sigmund's right, it's 120 times a second ;-)

Know what I hate? When I go into MS-DOS mode and the monitor goes to 60Hz.

--
David Fontaine     <dav### [at] faricynet>    ICQ 55354965
Please visit my website: http:/www.faricy.net/~davidf/