POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : pass_through in looks_like : Re: pass_through in looks_like Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pass_through in looks_like
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 9 May 2000 10:18:57
Message: <39181e51$1@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote...
>   In general photons act a bit ilogically with shadowless object. When you
> make an object shadowless and the light passes through that object, it's
> logical to expect photons to pass through as well. I don't know why the
> shadowless-keyword is ignored by the photons calculations.

Photon interaction with objects is a bit more complicated than shadow-ray
interaction.  However, it's not to difficutl to make no_shadow work like
pass_through.  This will decrease the amount of control you have over your
objects (currently, you can have an object that uses no_shadow but not
pass_through, but if I make this change then you will not be able to use the
no_shadow feature without the pass_through feature).  Comments?

-Nathan