POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why media clouds are black in the distance and assorted media reflections... : Why media clouds are black in the distance and assorted media reflections... Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Why media clouds are black in the distance and assorted media reflections...
From: Jerome
Date: 9 May 2000 09:55:27
Message: <391818C9.2C7AF5A6@iname.com>
For all of you who wondered why the clouds you made with
media are black near the horizon, here are some answers:

* When you near the horizon, samples are taken inside the
media, where it's darker, rather than on its border. The
solution is to increase the number of samples, either with
the samples or intervals keywords, or by using transparent
objects (slightly faster), or by using the sample_spacing
patch (even faster and easier to use, and yes I've finally
included it into megapov)

* There is a bug in media method 3 which increases the
problem.

* See http://www.enst.fr/~jberger/web/media.html for details
and samples.

	In the original docs for media method 3, Nathan said that
there was a slight difference in brightness with media
method 3 with relations to the others and added that he
didn't know if this was inherent to the method or due to a
bug... It *is* due to a bug (see my post on "Emission Type 2
and media brightness" in p.b.i)

	I have created a new type of emitting media that works as
well in front of a white background as in front of a black
one. See sample in p.b.i

		Jerome
--

* Doctor Jekyll had something * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* to Hyde...                  * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger