POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Idea for functions : Re: Idea for functions Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idea for functions
From: pk
Date: 6 May 2000 16:35:24
Message: <3914821C.637D1F2E@videotron.ca>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3913646F.CAC6BCA2@videotron.ca>, pk <thi### [at] videotronca>
> wrote:
> > Nope, i'm talking about using external apps(.exe in wintel)... instead
> > of supporting a full blown language for function, just allow the user to
> > use the (compiled) language s/he wants to use to do the maths!
> > Instead of having to support everything you want POV's function language
> > to support, POV could just allow you to call an application, and take
> > the return value for result!!
>
> Well, I don't think there is cross-platform way of doing this. And the
> lack of control over what the external program could do could cause
> problems. And how useful would it really be? I can't think of any cases
> where it would really help...
> Also, this sounds a lot like the #system patch...which won't be included
> in the official version or MegaPOV for these reasons.
Yup, that's exactly it...
Have i ever said that it would be cross-platform??
Heck, give the code if you want to, but maybe that you just want to do a
one-time time!
Well, it'd as useful as your idea of adding things to the language, one
time or another(we, humans, always want more ;-)
And, you don't have control to what moray plugins do, or over what
pov-ray patch do!
Has this ever stopped people using them?
--
AKA paul_virak_khuong at yahoo.com, pkhuong at deja.com, pkhuong at
crosswinds.net and pkhuong at technologist.com(list not complete)...