POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Finished!! (224Kbu) : Re: Finished!! (224Kbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 18:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finished!! (224Kbu)
From: Paul Daniel Jones
Date: 3 May 2000 09:58:36
Message: <39103097.3B3B400F@psu.edu>
> >   "If you ever shoot a roll of film and all the resulting photos are
> > pretty, sharp, and well exposed - you've failed."

I don't understand what constitues a failure as stated by this odd quote. Does
this mean that in order to succeed at being an artist you have to produce
things that have flaws in them? What is the universal standard of sucess, and
where can I find it.  does this not raise the question of what actually
constitutes a piece of artwork? I really get tired of people telling me what
is art and what is not. If I like it, I like it. If not, well then I don't,
simple as that. If I produce a sphere on a checkered plane, is that not art?
It may infact not get any message across, or convey any emotion , but if I
like it then that is all that matters.

There is a saying that we have in my lab:
"just because no one understands you does mean you are an artist"

sorry to rant, you don't have to continue this...  ;-)

BTW, I really like H.E. Day's compositional and techinical skill. Very
accomplished.

cheers

paul