POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : blobs and unions : Re: blobs and unions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blobs and unions
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 2 May 2000 20:56:56
Message: <390F6B8D.A38352BD@peak.edu.ee>
Mike Marinos wrote:

> Is it possible to create two unions , each with a single blob on top of
> a cylinder, position the unions so that the blobs are in contact with
> each other and get the blobs to interact blobby like?

Only components in one blob object will interact. However, the blob object can
also have cylindrical components which should work well in your case.

> While I am here, I realise that POV doesn't support this, but is there
> some reason why  any object cannot ultimately be made to behave like a
> blob when it comes into near contact with another object.

I'm not sure if _any_ object can be made to interact, but I see no real reason
why not. In fact, it can already be done in MegaPOV (a custom version of POV),
which has a 'isoblob' object - a combination of isosurface and blob.
An isosurface is just that - a surface is drawn through points where an
user-defined function evaluates to a threshold value. The isoblob object takes
this function and creates from it the density function for a blob component.
Thus, if you have the function for, say, a box, you should be able to use this
box as a blob component.
For further details, you might want to download MegaPOV and see the
documentation. Windows version is available at:
http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee