POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Finished!! (224Kbu) : Re: Finished!! (224Kbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 22:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finished!! (224Kbu)
From: H E  Day
Date: 1 May 2000 16:21:10
Message: <390DE5C0.819578BE@heday.freeservers.com>
>   You must be tired of overwhelming positive feedback already. Unfortunately
> I can't be an exception. I will try, however, to be more objective (so no
> "wonderful!", "outstanding!" or "perfect!" screams this time, sorry :) ).

They're making me blush.

>   Deducing from your previous posts I think this image is made entirely or
> mostly by hand. I just can't understand how can you do this even using
> a high-end modeller in just a couple of months (as a hobby, not as a paid
> job). The richness of details is almost overwhelming. The amount of work
> spent on this image is truely admirable.

Yes, completely by hand.  I absolutely love the amount of power that povray
affords by using a text editor. I've tried other freeware 3d packages such as
blender, but Have been unable to decipher their interface.  Oh, and the time
spent to make this was exactly 29 days 10 hours and 45 minutes.

>   Also the ability to use some of the most difficult features of povray
> such as the atmospheric effects seen in the image in an almost perfect way
> shows an admirable knowledge of the program.

The only atmosphere in this image is the fog.  The beams of light are cones,
flattened and textured.  This gave me more control over how the were rendered,
as well as speeding the render time.

>   I don't think I'll never learn to make images like this.
>   Would you, however, be willing to write some tutorial about your
> techniques?

I'll get to it eventually.  Sooner now that this round is over...

--
H.E. Day