POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Finished!! (224Kbu) : Re: Finished!! (224Kbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 22:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finished!! (224Kbu)
From: H E  Day
Date: 1 May 2000 16:14:51
Message: <390DE445.4EFFC61@heday.freeservers.com>
> For instance, what is the light source coming from high and left of
> the image? It shouldn't be sunlight, because the rays of light don't
> appear parallel, but definitely converge. They even appear "bent," but
> perhaps the bending is just camera distortion.

No, they aren't. But they are a mix of parallel and radiating beams.  They
are just cones, so you're probably right about the camera distortion.

> Why did someone go to the trouble of erecting billboards under a
> bridge? Most billboards are in a position of maximum visibility. The
> one for POV 10 could perhaps be pointed toward some highway off to the
> left, out of camera view. However, the billboard for the auto is
> pointed toward the area with the drunk. This appears to be an area for
> pedestrian traffic only. Perhaps in this city, there are so many
> billboards that they end up being practically everywhere?

Exactly.  I was going to add more, but I ran out of time.

> As everyone else has said, it's hard to make out the drunk without
> increasing the gamma of the image. When I did, I was glad to see an
> overturned beer bottle next to the drunk. That removed the ambiguity
> of where the puddle came from.    :)

> (Seriously though, I'm beginning to wonder if your system displays
> this image lighter than most everyone else. It really looks better
> when I lighten the image with a gamma adjustment.)

As I've said, I made this image with all my brightness and gamma settings
maxed out.  I guess I should check these things before I even start....

> Do pedestrian pathways actually get street signs in some cities? I do
> like your choice of street names.   :)

Some.  I know of at least two in Eugene.

--
H.E. Day