POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows : Re: Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows
From: Ken
Date: 27 Apr 2000 14:44:07
Message: <3908898C.C5A7B16D@pacbell.net>
Glen Berry wrote:

> I had thought of something like this long ago, but as I understand it,
> the POV-Team frowns on the idea of plugins. If I'm not mistaken Ron
> Parker was asking for plugins a long time ago, and was promptly told
> "no."

Yes, but... Ronald L. Parker is a member of the POV-Team now :)

> If Photoshop compatible plugins were ever useable in POV, we would
> still need our own specialized POV plugins to take advantage of those
> special geometry related data types, and other POV-unique variables.

That is why I recommend a special plugin environment specific to POV-Ray.
A practical suggestion ? I don't know but worth mentioning none the less.

> Even so, it would still be *very* nice to be able to take advantage of
> the large assortment of Photoshop compatible plugins available.
> Several of these are even available as freeware.

It would be nice but I don't know how practical it would be. The older
8bit filters would probably be applicable but with the 16bit and later
filters they came out with a bunch of GUI dependent slider controls
that would be impossible to implement in a cross platform program like
POV-Ray.