POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows : Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Post-process : highlights/midtone/shadows
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 27 Apr 2000 05:28:44
Message: <39080881.2064B6D2@inapg.inra.fr>
In addition to all the post-process requests that have been made in the
past few days, there is one that is particularly important to me, which
is the ability to manipulate separately the highlights/midtone/shadows
proportions (?) of the image. (if this was already mentioned under
another name in one of Glen Berry's message, forget about it).
Many (not all) povray images "out of the render" share a common
characteristic that makes them instantly recognizable, which is to be
too evenly lit : they're too dark, or too bright, and generally lack
contrast and saturation. There are ways in povray to avoid this, but I
find it very difficult to obtain when the scenes involve many light
sources and in fact I'm not sure it can be done for every picture. One
simple post-process trick is to tinker with the highlight/midtone/shadow
proportions, generally by increasing both the hightlights and the
shadows. The price to pay is a loss of detail in both ranges, so this
must be used wisely, but many pictures greatly benefit from this and
appear much more "lively", as if a thin layer of dust had been removed.
I'll post before/after examples in pov.binaries if someone is
interested.

G.