POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in ridgedmf and heteromf : Re: Bug in ridgedmf and heteromf Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in ridgedmf and heteromf
From: david sharp
Date: 25 Apr 2000 16:57:21
Message: <390606b1@news.povray.org>
Hans-Detlev Fink <hdf### [at] pecosnospamde> wrote

> If those two fractals are intended to work as described in
> the mega docs there are two bugs in each of them:
>
> The docs say they are f(x,0,z). Consequently the y component
> should be set to zero: V1[X]=x;V1[Y]=0;V1[Z]=z; at the beginning
> of the functions. And they should return (y-result) and (y-signal)
> instead of just (result) and (signal), respectively.
>
> Or did I miss something?

After looking at the ridgedmf and heteromf  sections (I guess I never
actually looked at them in 'published form' before), there are at least
a couple of errors. It should not give the impression that the
correct syntax is f(x,0,z). That syntax can be used  to enforce
a height field like surface, but the multifractals can be used nicely
for many other types of surfaces (clouds, planets, thingamablobs, etc)
Another error in the docs is where the -H is supposed to
be an exponent on f, not subtracted from f. (probably html superscript
got lost somewhere)