POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Problem with UV_mapping and Mesh : Re: Problem with UV_mapping and Mesh Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:13:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with UV_mapping and Mesh
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 25 Apr 2000 08:44:58
Message: <3905939C.FBB6E7A3@aetec.ee>
Fabian BRAU wrote:

> I don't how you can give u and v values information with mesh
> syntax? But one says that uv_maping work with mesh! So...
>
> Fabian.

Perhaps I should leave this problem to people with better knowledge of
uv-mapping in POV-Ray, as I'm quite ignorant in this area. (When Nathan
logs in, then perhaps he will explain it better.) As I understand it,
MegaPov accepts uv_vectors inside triangle mesh block. But still there
should be something, who generates this uv information.
From MegaPov help file:
=================8<===8<====================================
I've added a new keyword, uv_vectors. This keyword can be used in
bicubic patches to set the UV coordinates for the starting and ending
corners of the patch. The default is

uv_vectors <0,0>,<1,1> // syntax is "uv_vectors <start>,<end>"

If you had another patch sitting right next to this (as happens often
with sPatch or Moray), you could map the exact same texture to it but
use something like

uv_vectors <0,1>,<1,2> // syntax is "uv_vectors <start>,<end>"

(depending on which side of this patch the other is on) so that the two
textures fit seamlessly together.

This new keyword also shows up in triangle meshes (the original kind),
and soon it will be in single triangles, too. Inside each mesh triangle,
you can specify the UV coordinates for each of the three vertices
uv_vectors <uv1>,<uv2>,<uv3>

This goes right after the coordinates (or coordinates & normals with
smooth triangles) and right before the texture. Now that I think about
it, I could maybe make the syntax a bit more flexible (allow you to
interchange "uv_vectors" and "texture").