POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega-POV Post-Processing Request : Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 24 Apr 2000 00:06:57
Message: <3903c861@news.povray.org>
Glen Berry <7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote...

> Unfortunately, Darren's webpage detailing the "Infinite Light Patch"
> and his "Dispersion Patch" is no longer online. He has two websites,
> and I visited them both. However, the link to the aforementioned web
> page does not work.
>
> I had seen the "Infinite Light Patch" in the past, and recall that it
> attempted to solve at least some of the same issues, but I don't
> remember it in enough detail to comment on it properly. At the time, I
> had the impression that his implementation wasn't modeled in a
> physically accurate manner, but I could be easily mistaken. I'm also
> not sure if he had effectively modeled a film response curve, or if he
> was simply working on preventing highlights from "blowing out." I
> suppose I'll be emailing him soon to find out more.
>
> If taken to its limit, I think my idea is a bit more ambitious and
> versatile.

True.  If I recall correctly, Daren's was not designed to model any physical
film or eye response.  However, the way in which it was implemented might be
good to notice.  He implemented it by replacing the "gamma_correct" and
"clip_colour" functions in POV, instead of using post process.

Also keep in mind that the actual viewing of the image will be based both on
the functions used to convert the floating point value into a limited-range
RGB value AND by the gamma settings of the viewing device (LCD, plasma, or
CRT).  Of course, if you're printing to a device that is capable proper
color matching, then this could be a very useful feature for high-quality
realistic output.

-Nathan