POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega-POV Post-Processing Request : Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 23 Apr 2000 17:04:40
Message: <39036568@news.povray.org>
I really like this kind of idea.  Nice explaining of it.
This sort of thing is what makes getting great skies with foreground
subjects so difficult when taking a photograph. Fill lighting and filters
are what help to do that instead of being able to just snap a picture.
I would think human vision does some of this too.
Even though the pupil controls the majority of "emulsion" on the retina
I'd guess it also shuts down or boosts the amount of light at the back
of the eye to some extent.
Speaking of this, where I went today for the Easter picnic was a campground
which has a large cave.  At one point the tour guide shut off all the lights
and you don't see anything but the remnants of what was previously seen.
Just a little after the lights were out I was waving my hand in front of my face
proclaiming I could see it and I was promptly ignored.
Really though, I saw not a dim hand in front of my eyes but instead a totally
black silhouette of it, as though the cave had light in it at imperceptible
levels.  I turned around just afterward and noticed a ever brightening bluish
glow from a small spot.  It was the place we exited to after the lights were
back on.
Anyway, back to POV ;-) the way a person gets non-linear changes now
is to use ambient and diffuse, pigment color and gamma in various
relations I suppose.  That way you suggest sounds intriguing even if I can't
understand how anyone would go about it.

Bob