POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sculpture in glass and metal 1 (51KBbu) - sculp1.jpg : Re: Sculpture in glass and metal 1 (51KBbu) - sculp1.jpg Server Time
18 Aug 2024 20:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sculpture in glass and metal 1 (51KBbu) - sculp1.jpg
From: Justin Whitton
Date: 7 Mar 2001 18:07:57
Message: <38fdatokrd5bk9lup6mvtpdi3th5k4ddsh@4ax.com>
On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:43:46 -0700, Xplo Eristotle
<inq### [at] unforgettablecom> wrote:

>Some hints which you may or may not find useful:

Hints are always welcome.

>- The more reflective an object is, the less direct lighting will
>diffuse in the direction of your eye (because it's all bouncing off in
>some other direction). To simulate this, set the object's diffuse value
>to default*(1-reflection).

This is already the case, reflection+diffuse+specular <1 for the
metal, the glass/plastic is a bit harder as it uses fade_color but the
surface properties <1.

>- Consider using variable reflection for glass.

I knew I would forget something :-) I will go back and give that a go.

>- Assuming that the object is supposed to be lit by a small physical
>light source, such as a light bulb, both shiny metal and glass should
>have a much tighter specular highlight than you seem to have used here.
>Try a roughness of .001 or thereabouts.

I use a small cluster of point lights to give subtle soft shadows, I
generally don't play with the roughness as I have b**ger all idea
about what's going on. I'll give you suggestion a go.

>- Are you using ambient? If so, try using radiosity in its place (and
>set ambient to 0). Even very crude radiosity is often better than ambient.

Using radiosity. I prefer to use fill lights rather than ambient
(never liked the way ambient looks except for objects that are meant
to be bright, e.g. light sources)

>- Photons would likely take far too long, but you might set caustic
>values for the glass if you haven't already.

I was considering photons, but was dubious about how much they would
add. Something to add to the try list.

>I'm sure that other people will have suggestions as well (one of the
>Chrises has a veritable pamphlet of lighting and glass-texturing tips, IIRC).

You've given me plenty to be getting on with here. (I'm just glad now
that I've got a computer quiet enough to stay on whilst I'm trying to
sleep :-)

Justin
 \/  \ Justin Whitton                          /  \/
_/\__/ mail: jus### [at] rayjayclaracouk \__/\_
 \/  \ web: www.rayjay.clara.co.uk             /  \/
_/\__/\MSN Messenger ID:msn### [at] rayjayclaracouk/\__/\_