POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Lighting problems. : Re: Lighting problems. Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting problems.
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 17 Apr 2000 10:14:06
Message: <38fb1c2e@news.povray.org>
TonyB <ben### [at] panamac-comnet> wrote...
> I want to
> put lights in the center of the lightbulbs, but for the bulbs to be opaque
> (non-transparent), slightly reflective and self-shadowing. Help. TIA

Does the entire bulb have to be self shadowing?  I assume that you only need
the light to go through the frosted-glass part, and that the frosted-glass
part doesn't have to cast any shadows.  If this is the case, just make that
specific part of the bulb "no_shadow" with a high ambient.  This will make
it glow and be opaque but allow light to pass through it.  Alternatively, if
you use megapov, you can turn on double-illuminate and use diffuse instead
of ambient.  If you don't put "no_shadow" in the other parts of the bulb,
then they will cast shadows.  I would assume that, because the frosted-glass
is acting as a source of illumination, it would be so bright as to make any
self-shadowing hardly visible.

-Nathan