POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Old Typewriter ...inspiration to persist! : Re: Old Typewriter ...inspiration to persist! Server Time
2 Oct 2024 16:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Typewriter ...inspiration to persist!
From: Geoffrey Potvin
Date: 16 Apr 2000 22:04:53
Message: <38fa7145@news.povray.org>
Sorry ...maybe I'm being misleading... I had to screw around with all kinds
of really bad attempts and it did take over a month to get it just right. I
do have some Fine Arts background experience in which sculpture and
photography was covered extensively ...so I have to admit that I may have
known how to approach this feat better than someone who hadn't been through
something like that before.

This is actually on old typewriter I found in a friends basement. I
basically sat there for hours with a soft measuring tape and did my best to
create all the separate pieces ...then assembled them in one scene. I guess
the implication is that, yes, it might take someone with less
aptitude/experience for this thing a bit longer, but you can do it if you
have the patience. I will confess, though, that the data entry part can
drive you quite mad ...but no worse than some of the old model ship building
kits I saw some of my peers parents assembling when I was younger. They were
no great artists, but did some pretty groovy stuff with a little
perseverance.

I know this is a mixed group and everyone here will be at different skill
levels. I appreciate the compliment and hope I haven't slighted anyone by
posting this image as "amateur". It was really meant as "believe it or not
you too do this" kinda thing! Incidentally, for those who cannot sculpt/draw
etc. ...I personally totally support the use of predefined meshes etc.
...places objects in a scene, transforming them, lighting them and texturing
them is an art form in itself and equally challenging as modeling something
from scratch. I remember the frustration of prevailing attitudes towards the
photography department back in art school ...the old school painters and
printers referring to our work as "snap shots" with no regard for hours of
calculating lighting, depth of field ...not to mention all the time in the
darkroom trying to achieve the perfect contrast and balance of composition
in your image. Thank God times have changed!