POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : For fun: half full glass : Re: For fun: half full glass Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For fun: half full glass
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 15 Apr 2000 18:49:48
Message: <38f8f20c@news.povray.org>
Just to see if there was a way to go back to the old style refraction and still
use MegaPov I gave it a try and this was the result:

// half full-half empty glass test

#version unofficial MegaPov 0.4;

global_settings {
        photons {spacing .25 gather 33,133 autostop 0}
}

light_source { <3,5,10> color rgb 1
 photons {global reflection on refraction on}
}
camera {
  location  <0,5,-10>
  angle 25
  look_at   <0, .75, 0>
}

plane {y,-.01 pigment {checker color rgb 1 color rgb 0}}

 #version 3.0  // back to old style refraction

#declare HFt=
        texture {pigment {rgbft <.5,.7,.9,.85,.15>}
                finish {reflection .2 refraction on ior 1.33}
        }
#declare HEt=
        texture {pigment {rgbf <.9,.975,.925,1>}
                finish {reflection .1 refraction on ior 1.5}
        }

#declare H=1 // liquid height (glass is 2 units tall)

difference {
cylinder {0,2*y,1} cylinder {.999*H*y,2.001*y,.95}
 texture {gradient y texture_map {
        [.5 HFt] // half full
        [.5 HEt] // half empty
        } scale 2.001}

 #version unofficial MegaPov 0.4;

photons {target reflection on refraction on}
}

If you render this you might find it does seem to work okay at first but there
is no actual ior used.

Bob