POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ANNOUNCE: Acceleration of Plane primitive : Re: ANNOUNCE: Acceleration of Plane primitive Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: Acceleration of Plane primitive
From: Dejan D  M  Milosavljevic
Date: 14 Apr 2000 08:44:54
Message: <38f712c6@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:28:15 +0200, "Dejan D. M. Milosavljevic"
> <dmi### [at] xoommailcom> wrote:
>
> >Entire source and test scenes at  -- Plane patch --  page  via
> >http://members.xoom.com/dmilos/prg/pov/mypovpage.htm
>
> <snip>
>
> >Any comment?!
>
> Yes. I am not a programmer, but I must tell you I really respect your
> work with these patches. Correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that the
> real art of it seems to be in finding the right spot to correct and
> then leaving everyone else slapping their foreheads asking themselves
> how they haven't thought of that first :)

I have few theory.
1.One of  programming's  rule said :   if ( work_properly() )
 do_not_touch(); }.
2. Many people see that. Doubtlessly. But they think there is no need to do
it.

> This plane patch is a really nifty one (now that Ron has explained
> what you've done). Can a similar approach be taken for triangles? IIRC
> the intersection point of the test ray and the plane of the triangle
> is tested for insidedness using a lemma of one of Jordan's theorems.
> This requires several steps of manipulating 3D vectors. Maybe if one
> of the coordinates is stripped down (the triangle and intersection
> point are projected on a coordinate plane), these calculations would
> only require 2D vectors. Of course the right projecting plane should
> be chosen.
>
> What do you think? Is it worth the trouble?

Triangle is one of the most investigated primitive.
For ray tracer version with 2D vector is one of  the best in theory.
In a real life we have specialized processors and question: "How to use
their ability".