POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Your legs: IK or FK?? (409kbbu) : Your legs: IK or FK?? (409kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:36:08 EDT (-0400)
  Your legs: IK or FK?? (409kbbu)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 8 Apr 2000 11:36:24
Message: <38ef51f8@news.povray.org>
DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE IK LEGS?
I mean, does your hip levitate off the ground by some sort of magic, and
your legs occasionally pick up your feet to move them along and drop
them?  Kind of like a flying car that keeps dropping sandbags, lifting
them, and throwing them ahead as it glides along.

OR ARE YOU LEGS FK?
That is, is your hip structurally supported off the ground, while one
foot basically stays put on the ground due to friction, while muscles
rotate your thigh and shin bones about their joints, and the position of
your hip is at the mercy of a complicated function of all these
variables?  Is the position of your knee backsolved by the postion of
foot and hip or  is it solved by the rotation of your hip alone?

My legs, at least, are FK!  ;-)

This animation is a walk cycle of my blobmon involving a true FK based
walk cycle. No foot slippage, by definition! Am I right in that this is
a significant accomplishment?  With this kind of cycle, I could have a 4
or 15 jointed leg, which could be difficult to solve with IK math.  The
position in Y is determined by locating the "bottom" of the figure with
2500 trace calls from -y, and a trace call from y to the floor, so I
could have it walk up a gently sloping mountain.

It would not have been possible without various features of Mega 0.4.  I
was greatly disappointed, however, that the init_spline funciton does
not work at all (It only works in cases where you could have just as
easily used the sine function). I spent days tweaking my cycle before I
figured this out. The motion may not be as smooth as possible, because
I'm stuck with a linear spline until I can figure this out. I may be
forced to write my own cosine-spline macro to get what I need!

Hopefully, this figure doesn't look like a big booger!  ;-)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'thebodywalker11.mpg' (409 KB)