POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : CSG operations : Re: CSG operations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG operations
From: Mike Weber
Date: 7 Apr 2000 10:19:00
Message: <38edee54$1@news.povray.org>
My main concern is the best way to cut out a 'hole' from a an object, and
replace that hole with a window that is flush with original object.

In other words, lets say I have a cube, a tall thin one, and I want to make
a bunch of glass windows.  First I would do a CSG difference operation on it
using a bunch of smaller cubes to cut the holes.  Then I would use the same
tall thin cube with the smaller ones and do an intersection and use the
appropriate texture.  Then a 3rd CSG would combine the above 2 CSGs. I now
realize that this is more of a general POV CSG question than Moray.  But my
question still holds - is this the best way?

In the POV script I could do (with out textures):

#declare Building = box{<0,0,0><1,1,1> scale <tall,thin,1>}
#declare BunchOfCubes = boxes
then
union{
 difference{Building
            BunchOfCubes }
 intersection{Building
              BunchOfCubes {
}

Assume that Building is actually a mesh of triangles or a UDO object,
this is efficient because we are saving memory by referencing objects.
Is it possible to reference objects in Moray...  Now I'll go read the Moray
help...
--
Mike

wk: mik### [at] pyxiscom  www.pyxis.com