POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Martian Tripod <WIP>(25kb) : Re: Martian Tripod <WIP>(25kb) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 18:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Martian Tripod <WIP>(25kb)
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 7 Apr 2000 03:39:47
Message: <38ed90c3@news.povray.org>
>Still a work in progress, based on the artwork from Jeff Wayne's War of the
>Worlds album.
>
>Any suggestions on how to do the Heat Ray ?

I've read all the comments here now, and the idea of using a cone filled
with media is good. It's easy to point it at some object and stuff.

The heat ray is red/orange. In the original novel, AFAIK, there were no
other weapons aboard the tripods. The legs are good, but on the computer
game-cover, which is true to the album, I thnik, there are some wires
connecting the first part of the leg to the "corner" (don't know the proper
English term) of the leg And there were also a supporting rod from the body
to the middle of the last part of each leg. At last, there were also some
tentacle-kind of things hanging from the belly.

This was a lot of detail, and I am only describing the front cover of the
game-box, as you can see. But I also remember reading the comic version, and
the tripods were much alike.

What about blob-modelling one of those martians? Squid-like bastards with
long, slimy tentacles.. Ahh...

For anyone interested:
I've created a realaudio clip (quite hq) from the cd I have:
http://www.uio.no/~simenkv/film/eve_of_the_war.ram . It's quite cool, I
think! Inspirational... Use .rm if you want to download the whole bastard
before you play. (~3.5 MB).

Simen.