POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A Proposal for XML POV : Re: A Proposal for XML POV Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Proposal for XML POV
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 6 Apr 2000 12:28:38
Message: <38ecbb36$1@news.povray.org>
pk <thi### [at] videotronca> wrote...
> And, i think that there's a little misunderstanding: i suggest that
> EVERYTHING except the raytracer(which is anyway interpreted by the cpu
> 8)... That way, you could change the way everything behaves...
> an example:
> the textured light patch. if the light was interpreted, you could just
> use a function that tells you the distance from point 1 at angle x, y, z
> until you reach an object, and then change the color of the light at
> that angle(a micro sphere around the lightsources with a texture and
> filter at 1 would be an easy solution)

You could theoretically replace every element of a ray-tracer with
interpreted (by interpreted I/we mean software-interpreted) code.  The
question is, "would you want to?"  For example, the calculation for the
example that you gave is computed MANY times as a scene is traced.  You'd
only want to use an interpreted version if you needed to.  On the other
hand, it would be nice to provide the option to use interpreted code if the
desired feature was not implemented in the core functionality.  But you
could do this fairly easily without using XML.

-Nathan