POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crap to the MaXeR :( <~47kau> : Re: Crap to the MaXeR :( <~47kau> Server Time
3 Oct 2024 02:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crap to the MaXeR :( <~47kau>
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 28 Mar 2000 04:46:08
Message: <38e07f60@news.povray.org>
Like those road barrier/blockade/hurtle-jump or barrel things (can't exactly
look up the correct name) with the flashing amber lights maybe.   Everytime I've
seen a bunch of those in a long column or row and watched long enough or even a
short time they tend to get into sync for a few flashes every so often.  I've
always thought that was one of the high points in life.  Goes to show how my
mind works.

Bob

"Peter J. Holzer" <hjp### [at] hjpat> wrote in message news:38DFE5BA.F828A827@hjp.at...
| Steve wrote:
| >
| > On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:37:19 +0300, Peter Popov wrote:
| > >The unison seems to be localised in domains of a couple of meters in
| > >size. If two trees are adjacent it way happen that the touching parts
| > >flash together. Or if a tree is big enough several big flashing spots
| > >may be observed. It is a yet unexplained phenomenon afaik.
| >
| > Maybe the flashing isn't 100% in their controle, say caused or influenced
| > by solar winds or something.
|
| According to a Scientific American article several years ago, the
| synchronized flashing happens because the probability that a bug flashes
| does not only increase with time but also with flashes in their
| vicinity.
| So bugs which are almost synchronisized will soon synchronize
| completely.
| The others will "drift" until they come in sync and then be locked into
| the rythm too.
|
| hp
|
| --
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer             | Think of it as evolution in action
| |_|_) | Sysadmin WSR                |