POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crap to the MaXeR :( <~47kau> : Re: Crap to the MaXeR :( <~47kau> - 47+16kb(?) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 20:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crap to the MaXeR :( <~47kau> - 47+16kb(?)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 26 Mar 2000 16:32:21
Message: <38de81e5@news.povray.org>
I have a few photos the type of lightning (yes, not spelled lightening) bug we
have in these parts.  Not very good photographs but does show one lit up.
Just a sidebar on these names using the AOL dictionary:

lightning bug (noun)

First appeared 1778

 : FIREFLY
fire*fly (noun)

First appeared 1658

 : any of various winged nocturnal beetles (esp. family Lampyridae) that produce
a bright soft intermittent light by oxidation of luciferin esp. for courtship
purposes.

Bob

"Peter Popov" <pet### [at] usanet> wrote in message
| On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:51:47 -0500, "Bill DeWitt"
| <the### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
|
| >http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/1281/MeganM5.html
| >
| >Pictures of Fireflies. We have lots where people don't spray their yards
| >with Chem-Lawn or whatever... But I have never seen them blink in unison.
|
| The unison seems to be localised in domains of a couple of meters in
| size. If two trees are adjacent it way happen that the touching parts
| flash together. Or if a tree is big enough several big flashing spots
| may be observed. It is a yet unexplained phenomenon afaik.
|

| Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
| Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet
| TAG      e-mail : pet### [at] tagpovrayorg

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'litnngbg.jpg' (12 KB)

Preview of image 'litnngbg.jpg'