POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Photon bug? : Re: Photon bug? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon bug?
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 25 Mar 2000 15:27:27
Message: <38dd212f@news.povray.org>
"Nathan Kopp" <Nat### [at] Koppcom> wrote in message

> Eric Freeman <eri### [at] datasynccom> wrote ...
> > I'm also trying to get a visible reflected light beam
> > with media and have had no luck.  [snip]
> >
> > I added a second box the same size as the inside
> > of the box to contain media so I could see the light
> > as it travels around the box and get the message:
> > "warning: Could not save photon map - no
> > photons!"  Also, the media does not show the light
> > beam entering from the right and striking the first
> > mirror.  As I am clueless when it comes to media, I
> > don't know how to fix this (altho I am randomly
> > tweaking the media parameters to experiment).  If I
> > find a cure, I'll let you know.
>
> Send me some source code and I'll take a closer look.
>
> -Nathan

I got the scene working (see "Phun With Photons" in binaries.images) by
extending the media container to the right to enclose the light source.  At
least I think that's what made it work.

As far as the second light source causing no photons to be shot, here's the
scene file.  I'm not sure what part of it would be useful, so I'm posting
the whole thing.  Pardon the sloppy code.  The second light source is just
after the camera declaration.  If "reflection off" is set in this light, no
photons are shot.  The scene requires "kolors.inc" and my "mega_metals.inc"
but colors can be changed if you don't have these.

Eric
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
"I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it."
- Erwin Schrodinger talking about Quantum Mechanics.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'reflector.pov.txt' (9 KB)