POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Photon bug? : Re: Photon bug? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon bug?
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 24 Mar 2000 11:28:36
Message: <38db97b4@news.povray.org>
"Nieminen Juha" <war### [at] sarakerttunencstutfi> wrote in message

>   If any of the light sources in the scene has
> photons { reflection off refraction off } no
> photons are shot, no matter how many other
> light sources are there in the scene.

I've noticed that, too.  Don't know what the problem is.

>   And a question:
>   I'm trying to get a visible reflected light beam.
> I thought that making the photons to interact
> with the scattering media would do it. However
> it doesn't work. The light beam starting from the
> spotlight is visible, but none of the reflected
> beams is. Is it supposed to? Perhaps I'm doing
> something wrong?

I'm also trying to get a visible reflected light beam with media and have
had no luck.  I've got a hollow box with a small hole in the right side and
a light source 500,000 units to the right of the hole.  Inside the box I've
placed several mirrors which reflect the light and eventually reflect it
onto the left wall of the box.  It works great.  But then I added a second
light source to illuminate the inside of the box but did not want it to
shoot photons at the mirrors.  This resulted in no photons being shot, so I
removed it.  I added a second box the same size as the inside of the box to
contain media so I could see the light as it travels around the box and get
the message: "warning: Could not save photon map - no photons!"  Also, the
media does not show the light beam entering from the right and striking the
first mirror.  As I am clueless when it comes to media, I don't know how to
fix this (altho I am randomly tweaking the media parameters to experiment).
If I find a cure, I'll let you know.

Eric
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
"I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it."
- Erwin Schrodinger talking about Quantum Mechanics.