POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Arrakis, desert planet (68.1kb bu) : Re: Arrakis, desert planet (68.1kb bu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 04:55:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrakis, desert planet (68.1kb bu)
From: Tom Melly
Date: 23 Mar 2000 05:13:31
Message: <38d9ee4b$1@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message

> Chris Huff wrote:
>
> > I read one of the Dune books, and apparently, almost all of the land of
> > Arrakis was just sand with no rock structures. There was a huge "wall"
> > of rock, I think it was artificial(maybe that is what happened to the
> > rock formations, they were scavenged for construction material. I don't
> > remember very well, though).

There was, AFAIK, quite a few bits of rock in the book. Paul and his mother
escape from a sandworm after the thopter crash by moving into a rocky area.
Most of the Freeman water reservoirs are in rock caves.

God, the movie stunk - main reasons? Lynch didn't give a damn, the Baron
should have lived in opulent splendour, Paul was badly cast, it wasn't six
hours long, and Hollywood probably couldn't cope with the idea that the
heroic Freeman should all have been played by fanatical Arabs....