POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A Proposal for XML POV : Re: A Proposal for XML POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Proposal for XML POV
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 22 Mar 2000 09:14:56
Message: <38d8d560@news.povray.org>
Nigel Stewart <nig### [at] nigelscom> wrote...

> The POV license is much more restrictive than GPL or
> the BSD license.

 [clip]

> I think if the modellers suddenly had the choice of
> taking their data from Rhino to Autocad to POVray and
> then back to Rhino, without any conversion process,
> they might regard it as a nice feature.

 [clip]

> POV is ONLY a rendering application.  There are
> good reasons that it should be more flexible.

 [clip]

> Because I can't use it as a library, POV has zero
> commercial interest to me.  I'd also want to bypass
> the parser and populate the 3D scene from a Inventor
> style scene graph, without using files.  I'm shut out.

You bring up very good points.  All I can say is that the current license
restrictions on POV were originally intended to protect POV-Ray from
exploitation.  Personally, I feel that they are overly restrictive, and POV
can be protected without such strict rules.  Of course, I am speaking for
myself and not the POV-Team, but we have begun discussing some of these
issues (in the context of version 4.0).

-Nathan Kopp