POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega 0.4 Transparency Bug??? : Re: Mega 0.4 Transparency Bug??? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega 0.4 Transparency Bug???
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 21 Mar 2000 19:06:07
Message: <38d80e6f$1@news.povray.org>
"Nathan Kopp" <Nat### [at] Koppcom> wrote in message

> I think that it's a somewhat illusionary effect but
> is most likely related to gamma correction.

I think you're right.  I made a larger image and the effect was almost
unnoticable... playing with my monitor's controls helped, too.

> Some people have complained about similar
> 'problems' with scattering media.  It is caused
> by diffuse light bouncing off of the glass being
> added to the transmitted light that comes
> through the glass.
>
> Also, if the description of your material does not
> conserve energy (if reflected light, including diffuse,
> phong, etc, plus transmitted light adds up to more
> than 1.0) then you could run into problems like this.

The complete texture was:

  $ GlassMat = material {
    texture {
      pigment {rgbf <0.9,0.9,0.9,0.9>}
      finish {reflection 0}
    }
  }

reflection 0 was added after I noticed the effect to see if the visible
floor plane in the "glass" was in front of or behind the glass.  It didn't
make a difference in the image.

Eric
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
"I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it."
- Erwin Schrodinger talking about Quantum Mechanics.