POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega 0.4 Transparency Bug??? : Re: Mega 0.4 Transparency Bug??? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega 0.4 Transparency Bug???
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 21 Mar 2000 15:28:57
Message: <38d7db89@news.povray.org>
"Eric Freeman" <eri### [at] datasynccom> wrote in message
| I made a couple of images (see povray.binaries.images post of the same name)
| showing an odd result of using transparency.  The first image shows a
| transparent object (merge of a box and a cylinder... pigment {rgbf
| <0.9,0.9,0.9,0.9>}) on a plane.  The second image is just like the first
| except it uses a spotlight instead of a point light.  The problem is the
| plane (and green bar) in the distance...

The pigment was raised to 0.98 (as stated in your 2nd message at p.b.i.) and it
was okay then, am I understanding this right?  If that's all then it's a very
nearly clear texture whereas before it was not.  Anyway, it's always seemed to
me that semi-transparent textures ('transmit' especially and visible spotlights
such as through the old 'atmosphere' of v3.0*) shouldn't be brightening the
background.  But I still have not checked this against reality very well.  Now
media is easy to darken the backgrounds of visible spotlights by using
'absorption' so that's not a problem anymore.  Textures on the other hand might
still be doing this.

Bob