POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A Proposal for XML POV : Re: A Proposal for XML POV Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Proposal for XML POV
From: Ron Parker
Date: 21 Mar 2000 14:07:09
Message: <38d7c85d$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:17:25 -0800, Bruce wrote:
>> It is restricted by licenses, but the interface is indeed well-defined.  The
>> definition just happens to be in the form of C source code.  But you're right,
>> nobody is using the existing parser that way, because it's not allowed.  Go
>> reread Chris Young's comments on parsers and the future if you want to know
>> what the POV-Team thinks should be done about that.
>>

>Oh oh. Would it not be allowed if the resulting product was completely
>open source? Perhaps with documentation/licensing information stating
>that it fell under the general POV license?

I'm pretty sure that the only way to get a different set of terms on the
use of the source code is to get specific permission from the POV Team, but
I'm also pretty sure they/we won't give it lightly.  You might find that
ParPov, at http://www9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~cnvogelg/pov2rib/ , is
a better choice for your project.