POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realism: water (99kbbu) : Re: Realism: waterII (19+ 29 kbbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 22:28:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realism: waterII (19+ 29 kbbu)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 20 Mar 2000 12:29:18
Message: <38d65fee@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> The abstract look to this makes it difficult to compare to an actual swimming
> pool, especially considering there would be so many different thoughts on what
> one would look like with there being such a variety.  The tiles are what I would
> expect to see only along the upper edge if anywhere.
> What I wondered most, where is the dappled light on the bottom of the pool if
> this were outdoors in sunshine.  So it looks like an indoor pool to me.  If
> there is 'photons' being applied in this I can't discern so.
> Sorry if I sound only skeptical.

Yeah, the tiles aren't too much like a real pool.  The blue splotches are an
intentional effect from the noise3d pattern.

Point well taken on the artistic effect, but I think it's more a case of technical
overkill than omission. Here is the same scene with a white plane instead of my
tiles.  I either used caustics only or refleciton only with my photons. (Smaller
kbbu's this time!)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'causticsonly.jpg' (29 KB) Download 'reflectiononly.jpg' (19 KB)

Preview of image 'causticsonly.jpg'
causticsonly.jpg

Preview of image 'reflectiononly.jpg'
reflectiononly.jpg