POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Final SteadFast (Big) : Re: Final SteadFast (Big) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 04:59:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Final SteadFast (Big)
From: Darcy Johnston
Date: 13 Mar 2000 22:44:36
Message: <38cdb5a4@news.povray.org>
H.E. Day <hed### [at] fcinet> wrote in message news:38CC659C.B1F5D83F@fci.net...
> > The windows look alot better. I was curious, how manu blob objects are
> > invloved in a project such as this?
>
> Well, the saucer-section is one blob.  the Nacelles are each separate
blobs, as
> are the struts connecting them to the fuselage.

Oh, and I forgot to add, how many blob elements within each blob object?
Is there a trick to getting two or more seperate blob objects to meld well
together?

> > And how do you place them?
>
> By hand.
>
> > I assume you create some patterns a use while
> > loops (or something similar) to place them all?
>
> Not really.  I did all of it by trial-and-error.  Not as efficient, but it
> allows me greater control.

I think that makes all this even more impressive.
I don't know if I'll have the patience to master blobs in a similar manner.

> > How do you come up with your general shapes and patterns? Are they
> > mathematical in essence?
>
> Pencil and paper. Pencil and paper.  I'm good with traditional art, and
usually
> start with sketches and doodling.  This helps with the final shape and
> textures.

Well, there's a portion which I lack.

Oh, another question (I seem to have quite a few lately). When you first
start placing your sphere and cylinders (do you use both, or just spheres?)
do you place them outside the blob to get a general look, or do your objects
start as blobs right from the start?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions.
Darcy