POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 50mm Minolta lens. : Re: 50mm Minolta lens. Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:11:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 50mm Minolta lens.
From: PatchWerk
Date: 5 Mar 2000 07:47:55
Message: <38c2577b@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:Nyl### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it Noah A who wrote:
>
> >i was looking at one just the other day and noticed that the protective
glass
> >has a purple oil on it or something
>
> That's not oil, it's the antireflective coating. It works by an
> interference process, similar to iridescence. It causes the reflected
> light to be dimmer and purpler than would be expected for that type of
> glass. I suppose the refracted light thereby becomes very slightly
> yellower.
>
> --
> Mike Williams * ##
> Gentleman of Leisure

...it does indeed work by an interference process, and it is indeed the very
process we call iridescence... although the
incoming (refracted) light remains largely unaffected, as the multiple
glasses inside the lens seem to cancel each other's color out.
unfortunately, said process in POV (or MegaPov, AFAIK, cannot be accurately
rendered. I'm going to try a reflection_color and see if that works. In
response to several other responses... yes, it WAS hand-coded, although I
have since remodelled it in Moray, as the camera body is proving
signifigantly more difficult. There are no photons, as I am using a Pentium
166, and photons don't seems to function below P2, causing my machine to
crash when photon calculation starts. I'll have a new version posted within
a week or so. My hours at work have nearly doubled, and I won;t have as much
time to play.