POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : NURBS primitive? : Re: NURBS primitive? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS primitive?
From: David Curtis
Date: 4 Mar 2000 07:08:10
Message: <38c0fcaa@news.povray.org>
In article <38C0F1DD.26738120@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg wrote:
>I have heard many arguments for and against and so far the consensus seems
>to favour not including them in POV-Ray. Yours is the first I have heard
>where better quality is mentioned. Most argue in favour of smaller file
>sizes than their triangle counterparts.
I take that into consideration aswell.

>Patches have the advantage that you can change the smoothing of the patch
>by changing a single parameter. The drawbacks to this is the amount of parse
>time needed. The greater the amount of tessellation of the patch needed to
>achieve the desired smoothness will add to the time it takes to parse each
>patch. File sizes may tend to be a bit smaller but the trade off in file
>size will be parsing time.
Really? Though I've never tried it (I probably shouldn't comment) I thought
that with less vertices, less parse time.

> For what it is worth I have rendered some enormous mesh files with as
>many as a million triangles before and the the parsing time was not in
>my opinion all that prohibitive.
Agreed. It's the conversion from NURBS to triangles that's a killer for me.

So, I think i'll poke around a bit and confirm wether that it's too big a
project for me.

Dave.
mic### [at] sympaticoca