POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My version of the reflecting sphere on checkered plane : Re: My version of the reflecting sphere on checkered plane Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:09:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My version of the reflecting sphere on checkered plane
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 2 Mar 2000 20:01:02
Message: <38bf0ece@news.povray.org>
ingo <ing### [at] homenl> wrote...
> Nathan: Is it possible to make the photon intensity variable so they are
> not only visible in shaded areas but also in bright surroundings?

The brightness of the caustics is calculated using the surface properties.
You can adjust it by adjusting the surface properties and the brightness of
the light source.

It would be technically possible to add an intensity parameter, but I
probably won't add it.  It would make objects take more memory, add more
confusion to the already-complex photon settings, and create inconsistency
in the lighting model.

If you want more reflected light increasing the 'reflection' parameter of
the 'finish' should do the trick.  Also, play around with the surface
normals to make sure that the caustics are what you'd expect - specifically,
make sure your normal doesn't disturb the water surface too much, or those
photons will get spread out over too large of a space and the energy will
get dispersed so much that you can't see it.

-Nathan