POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : My personal wishlist : Re: My personal wishlist Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My personal wishlist
From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Mar 2000 08:04:14
Message: <38bd154e@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 07:18:37 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>In article <38bcf2c7@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
><war### [at] sarakerttunencstutfi> wrote:
>
>>   Isn't there some kind of proximity patch? Can't it be used for
>> displacement calculations?
>
>I wrote a proximity pattern which is included in MegaPOV, it calculates
>a value which depends on the distance from the surface of an object by
>shooting rays at it...I am not sure how good it would be for
>displacements though. It might just be too slow for an isosurface,
>unless it could be calculated once and output as a density file.

Obviously, creating a density file from an object is trivial.  Once you
have that, you can relatively easily perform a filter of some kind that fills
in the voxels with a number corresponding to their distance from voxels
containing the surface of the object, then build an isosurface with that.
But it'll take lots and lots of memory, probably more than the mesh.