POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Great images.... but....why.... : Re: Great images.... but....why.... Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:10:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Great images.... but....why....
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 29 Feb 2000 20:09:26
Message: <38bc6dc6@news.povray.org>
So OT and yet so relevant to this group.
I like less color saturation on a television screen, to the dismay of many
people over the years.  It's really funny when I see someone's TV having primary
red for skintones and greens for grass or leaves I can't see in the real things.
All I have to do is look at the stuff around the TV to know things aren't that
vividly colored.  It's as though people want to be looking into a screen with
natural-times-3 color, a sort of neon light reality.  Back in the days of
Black&White television I guess the debate was how gray or how black and white it
ought to be.
Many times I tried to adjust peoples sets or at least try to convince them of
their misguidance and I would get turned away from my attempts.
Right this minute I'm in a room with one energy-saving fluorescent type bulb
overhead (made to look incandescent though) and the increase in the redness of
everything makes it look like sunset inside here at night.  Doesn't matter
though, I would still compensate and tone the red down on the TV or monitor,
which looks fairly blue.  Artificial lighting could be the most common cause of
the discrepancies, and even filtered daylight being very blue when artificial
lighting isn't used might tend to make a phosphorescent screen lack in color I
guess.
Anyway, I couldn't get that test image to work right I think.  It had me setting
the brightness down all the way to see it as instructed.
The POV-Ray gamma gif test had shown 2.1 as the best fit.

Bob

news:38B### [at] pacbellnet...