POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 4.5 Week Render (Gasp!) : Re: 4.5 Week Render (Gasp!) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 08:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4.5 Week Render (Gasp!)
From: Equiprawn
Date: 27 Feb 2000 09:56:08
Message: <38b93b08@news.povray.org>
Hi,

> Wow, I should take the comment about glass out of my reply to Andre's
"More
> Alcohol" posting and put it here instead.  In case it's not seen I
basically
> said glass textures are both a good and bad thing, for obvious reasons.

I am begining to agree :)

> The B&W version is actually sepia and not all gray shades I see.  Has a
good
> look to it.

I know, I thought it might help the photo look a little, plus I'm a fan of
sepia tinted grayscale images.

> That purple pitcher has too soft a highlight IMO, hate to say it because
of the
> tremendously long render time you endured.

Oh no worries. I was going for a frosted kind of plasticy (is that even a
real word?) look.

> Any plans to try a speeded up, less photon-intensive, version or has it
already
> been done?

Maybe. I really need to learn exactly what each of the settings do, so I can
balance quality with time. Though I am wondering what caused the long render
time for my image. The jug, water and glass meshes have thousands and
thousands of smooth triangles - could that be what took all the time, or was
it just that I went overboard on my settings? In global settings I used :

  photons{
    gather 20, 100
    radius 0.1*phd, 2, 2//, 0.1*phd
    autostop 0
    jitter .4
    expand_thresholds 0.2, 40
    load_file "jugwaterglass.ph"
  }

and then for the objects I used:

  photons {
    separation 0.02*phd
    refraction on
    ignore_photons
  }

except for the two glasses which had reflective photons also.

Equiprawn