POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : My personal wishlist : Re: My personal wishlist Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My personal wishlist
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 27 Feb 2000 07:55:20
Message: <38b91eb8@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
: I have not either. Perhaps you have missed my main point, and it is
: textures. Imagine you have this:

: intersection
: { union
:   { sphere { -x, 1 pigment { Red } }
:     sphere { x, 1 pigment { Blue } }
:   }
:   box { <-3,0,-2>, <3,2,2> }
: }

  But that's not possible. Suppose that the radiuses of the spheres are
a bit larger (so that the spheres overlap). What's the color of the
overlapping part?
  On the other hand, even in your example: How can povray know which one
is the right sphere to get the color from? It only has knowledge of the
intersection of the ray with the box. It would have to somehow decide which
sphere is the right one. I don't know how povray works in this matter, but
it might be difficult to see which sphere is the right one. It's more difficult
if the spheres overlap or one sphere is completely inside the other.
  And besides, bounding is not intended for that kind of functionality.
Boundind is intended only for speeding up the rendering.