POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : fire screen problem : Re: fire screen problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fire screen problem
From: Steve Clarke
Date: 26 Feb 2000 23:37:49
Message: <38b8aa1d@news.povray.org>
Alex Magidow <axi### [at] mninternet> wrote in message
> Heya- in case you interested, as your use of terminology seems to be
slanted
> towards programmable shading(ie, programs such as PRMan and BMRT), you may
want
> to note that there is currently a RIB exporter for Moray available.

I'm doing my modeling in Rhino 1.1 and am rendering with Moray/Povray.  I'm
kinda new to the rendering end of things and don't really have a clue toward
getting custom results in this package yet.  But it seems that I should be
able to create a custom shader to my liking with the tools in Moray.

Anyway I've been doing some experimenting with getting a convincing screen
shader and have come up with a few different results.  I hope that this
system can handle a 72.8K attachment. If not I trust someone will tell me
and I won't do it again.

The upper left image is modeled in Rhino and rendered in Moray.  The screen
material, which is the point of all this is a color map texture applied to a
single surface.  Looking for anything that might be close to what I need, I
came across the candy cane texture in the library of textures and modified
it by adding stripes, changing the colors and adding transparency to half of
the stripes, then I changed the noise pattern to granite.  The result is not
what I'm looking for but offers hope that further experimentation will help.

The upper right image is modeled in Rhino and rendered in Moray.  The screen
material is a glass shader applied to a single surface.  I've set the color
to a dark tone and and reduced the reflection.  I don't find this very
distracting and would probably go with it if I don't come up with a better
texture map.

The lower left image is modeled in Rhino and rendered in Rhino.  The screen
material is actual geometry.  I think this looks closest to real, but the
overhead is prohibitive.  I knew this in advance but I wanted to see how
actual geometry would look.  I wonder if I couldnt use this image in
PhotoShop to create a texture map somehow and apply that map to the single
surface while in Moray?

The lower right image is modeled in Rhino and rendered in Rhino.  The screen
material is a single surface with a dark color tone set to it and a
transparency of 40%.  I don't find this distracting either, but have to note
that Rhino is a modeling program.  The rendering function within it is just
to help visualize modeling results.  It is expected by Rhino's creators that
we users will find a suitable renderer.  Which is what brings me here.

Thanks everybody for your input.

later,
Steve

Post a reply to this message