POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : My personal wishlist : Re: My personal wishlist Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My personal wishlist
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 25 Feb 2000 13:36:56
Message: <38b6cbc8@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote...

> Chris Huff wrote:
>
> > Also, remove the limitations on layering patterned textures.
>
> The biggest single question I have is what are you breaking by removing
> the current restriction. I have a feeling that it is there for a good
> reason but not being a coder do not know what that reason is.

A significant amount of code would have to be re-worked to remove this
limitation.  The limitation is caused by legacy code.  The original authors
never invisioned this feature, and thus it cannot easily be implemented.
Also, if this limitation were removed and the texturing system were made
more clean and consistent, we may run into backwards-compatibility issues
(the details rather difficult to describe, unfortunately).

-Nathan