POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : My personal wishlist : Re: My personal wishlist Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My personal wishlist
From: TonyB
Date: 24 Feb 2000 23:48:52
Message: <38b609b4@news.povray.org>
>Patterned light_source's: Have the ability to apply a patterned
>color_map to a light source, with the option to use ray direction and
>depth instead of point position.(which would kind of simulate light
>coming through a colored, transparent sphere surrounding the light
>source, but with depth)
>light_source {blah, blah
>   PATTERN
>   color_map {...}
>   use_depth_for_z on/off
>}
>
>If the "use_depth_for_z"(somebody please come up with a better keyword!)
>feature is turned on, the angles of the initial emission from the light
>source will be used for the x and y axis, and the distance the ray has
>travelled for the z axis. This should make things like interference
>patterns possible.(I wonder what this would look like combined with
>scattering media and photons!)

My concept of patterned lightsources would look like this:

light_source {Pos 1}
sphere {0,1 pigment {Blah with filter in some places} scale .0001 translate
Pos}

This would make the sphere dissapear with antialiasing, and would "pattern"
the lightsource, right?

PS: Credits to Chris Colefax for this method which was passed on to me.