POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Friday offering, a tad late (25kbu) : Re: Friday offering, a tad late (25kbu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 02:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday offering, a tad late (25kbu)
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 21 Feb 2000 07:40:14
Message: <38b1322e@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote in message <38b122d0@news.povray.org>...
>The icy(?) surface part reminds me of some real world rock or mineral or
>something but I couldn't begin to name any names.  Maybe I'm just thinking
of
>shale, slate, or similar.  No I'm not,  it's a flaky translucent stuff...
well
>never mind.

Looks kinda like highveld sandstone (Hote days, cold nights cause flaking)

>The stark differences between the peaks and surrounding ground is
interesting
>looking.

I based this on the moon Iapetus which is partially very dark and partially
very bright

>Saturn's rings look good but they don't seem scaled right to me.  Yes, in
fact I
>just did a quick check and this has a ring radius of planet diameter
whereas
>Saturn actually has a ring radius (max. visible) of about 1 and 1/6 times
the
>planets diameter.  But real close anyhow :-)  I'm just being picky about it
is
>all, please excuse me.

So I need to scale the rings by 1.16666

Pick away. this isn't exactly a masterpiece. I saw some tutorials
on space scenes on www.max3d.com and decided to try in Pov

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * ERROR: COFFEE.COM not found  *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Insert cup and press any key *
* Definition of an upgrade: Take the old bugs out, put new ones in*