POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : MegaPOV 0.4 Metal Textures <49k jpg> : Re: MegaPOV 0.4 Metal Textures <49k jpg> Server Time
3 Oct 2024 04:57:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 0.4 Metal Textures <49k jpg>
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 18 Feb 2000 21:19:12
Message: <38adfda0@news.povray.org>
news:38ADF82F.479346F3@pacbell.net...

> Eric Freeman wrote:
> >
> > I've finally finished making my 0.4 versions of
> > "metals.inc" and "golds.inc."  The files and
> > instructional demo pov files can be found in
> > povray.binaries.scene-files.
>
> Nifty ! Refresh my memory on this - you were
> converting the textures from the original
> phong/specular highlights to the blinn microfacet
> shading method ?

Right.  The difference between specular/roughness and blinn/facets isn't
very much... the big difference comes from adding the "reflect_metallic"
keyword.  But since we have the new blinn method I figured we might as well
use it.... kinda like "new impoved Tide"... your laundry looks the same but
you buy it anyway.

Eric
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russel