POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Street image (full picture) (30kbu) : Re: Seriously, though Server Time
3 Oct 2024 11:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seriously, though
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 18 Feb 2000 10:14:18
Message: <38ad61ca@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote in message <38AD5BF6.7F3D1DE6@my-dejanews.com>...
>I liked the first version so much I called it "epic."  The as-posted
>version of this one looks way too dark; the gamma-corrected version on
>your page looks like an "over-gamma-corrected" version of a too-dark
>image.

I intentionally over corrected the one on my web page so that anybody could
view it.

>WHY did you make it so much darker?

The lighting on the first version was simply testing. It made the scene look
like a bright sunny afternoon (Which did not go with the theme)
The second one is darker simply because of the cloud layer.
It looks just right on both my home and work monitors. On my boss's
machine it is pitch black.

>I want to know because I may be at fault!
>
>I have feared that I've got the gamma so screwed up my monitor(s) that I
>run into a bunch of problems: too dark printer output, too dark T-shirt
>printing, many high-ranking IRTC entries look crappily dark to me, etc.

Well my home monitor is very old. I would suggest you try turning up the
brightness/
contrast first if they are not at max. Also have a look at your graphics
card. It might be trying
to do gamma correction. iirc monitors range from gamma 1.2 up to 2.2
I'm not able to do gamma correction on my monitor so I can't help you.

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * ERROR: COFFEE.COM not found  *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Insert cup and press any key *
* Definition of an upgrade: Take the old bugs out, put new ones in*